The Université Savoie Mont Blanc has a privileged partnership with the CROUS (Centre Régional des Oeuvres Universitaires et Scolaires) in order to provide bedrooms in universitary residences to a maximum of students welcomed as part of a partnership or an exchange programme, but unfortunately, we cannot garantee accommodation for everybody.

That is why we offer you other lodging possibilities:



Whatever the type of accomodation, an insurance policy for renting a property is obligatory for the accommodation that you are going to occupy.

  • What is its purpose?

To insure your accommodation in case of fire, explosion, or water damage…

  • How do I go about obtaining it?

When you arrive in France you will be able to contact one or more of the following:
– the student mutual organisation SMERRA 
– the student  mutual organisation LMDE
– your bank in France: they might have good rates for accommodation insurance.

Please note that the two student mutual organisations will be present at the university at the time of your registration

  • What is the cost?

Between 30 and 50 euro per year depending on the specific insurance provision.



It is a state subsidy, or financial allowance, which is either directly deducted from the rent payable, or is paid into your bank account.

  • Who can benefit from it?

All student renting accommodation in France

  • What are the conditions for obtaining it?

– Students from the European Economic Area can put in an application for APL immediately on arriving in France..
– Students from outside the European Economic Area must first obtain their residence permit (« carte de séjour ») before they are allowed to apply for APL

Please note! If your visa has written on it « dispensé de titre de séjour » (exempted from requiring residence document), you will NOT be able to benefit from this allowance.

  • Where can you obtain the application forms?

The forms for accommodation allowance (APL) are available in certain student residences, from the Family Allowance Centre (Caisse d’Allocations Familiales – CAF) or on the Internet at the following address:
– Caisse d’Allocations Familiales – 20 avenue Jean Jaurès – 73000 Chambéry, +33 (0)8 20 25 73 10
– Caisse d’Allocations Familiales -2 rue Emile Romanet – 74987 Annecy Cedex 9, +33 (0)

  • What documents do you need to present?

– The completed and signed application form
– a « relevé d’identité bancaire » (RIB)(your full bank account details)
– if you are from a country in the European Economic Area: a national identity card OR family record book OR a passport OR residence permit OR birth certificate
 if you come from a country outside the European Economic Areaa currently valid residence permit (« carte de séjour »)