Preparing your departure

You can't improvise a trip abroad, and preparing your departure abroad means keeping all your papers up to date.

  • First of all, check your passport and identity card to see if they are about to expire, and apply for a new document well in advance, as delivery times are long.
  • You can also find out whether you need a vaccination or a visa to go to the country you're traveling to on the website of the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs (Entrée/Séjour) and ask for it.
  • When it comes to health insurance, if you're going to Europe, remember to order a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and for destinations outside Europe, check your entitlements abroad with your health insurance provider. The EHIC must be requested at least 20 days before departure.

If you're a salaried employee working on your thesis, you'll be covered by your employer as a seconded worker abroad, within the scope of their mission, i.e. accidents on the way to or from work, or accidents in the workplace. See Seconded worker abroad: your rights and procedures and contact your employee's HR department.

However, we recommend that you take out supplementary health insurance covering the following in the country of secondment: reimbursement of medical expenses, civil liability and medical assistance and repatriation.

  • Don't hesitate to carry out a complete medical check-up before your trip, and prepare a first-aid kit with all the specific medicines you need, keeping the packaging and leaflets for customs checks. Depending on your destination, vaccinations may be necessary or even compulsory for stays abroad. Find out more on the Métis platform.
  • Before you leave, make sure you register with Ariane. Ariane enables you to register easily and free of charge with the local offices of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs when you are on a trip or on a one-off mission. You'll then receive alerts from the Ministry for the country you'll be visiting.
  • Contact Research unit to find out more about DAAE formalities, and send it to HR at least 15 days in advance.
  • Check with your telephone operator that your mobile works abroad. Once you're there, you can buy a no-fee, rechargeable card to call your new country, which will be much cheaper.

Administrative documents to pack in your luggage

  • Signed study contract or internship agreement, arrival and end-of-stay certificates. Make sure you have a binder with all your documents.
  • Université Savoie Mont Blanc student card. You may be asked for it on arrival at your host university.
  • Identity card and/or passport and visa if required.
  • European Health Insurance Card (Europe) or the form required to obtain health insurance (SE401Q106 in Quebec). You'll also need to contact your mutuelle or insurance company to ensure that it covers all your medical expenses during your stay.