A platform modernized to be at the forefront of technology
The year 2017 was used to renew the Investigation division's platform by equipping it with cutting-edge tools in a completely redesigned space.
In a highly competitive research market, which is constantly evolving, the Research Unit occupies a unique position, at the cutting edge of theoretical thinking and data collection and analysis tools. In 2016 and 2017, various investments have enabled the infrastructure to be thoroughly renewed in order to adapt it to the new requirements linked to the rise of big data.
An entity to meet scientific and economic requirements
The Investigation Unit was set up ten years ago within the LLSETI laboratory; a laboratory attached to the LLSH (Letters, Languages and Human Sciences) of the University of Savoie Mont Blanc.
Since its inception, this original platform has served several purposes:
- Promote research on contract, especially with sponsors outside the university;
- improve existing investigation protocols ;
- to enable the professionalisation of master's students by involving them in the work of the Investigation Unit.
A unique and recognized resource for a diversity of actors in the area
A hybrid structure in which research fundamental and research applied, methodological and practical reflections, the Inquiry Unit today constitutes a unique interface between scientific approach and social demand.
Its vocation is not to be a service provider for the administration of surveys on the basis of standardised or stereotyped protocols. Rather, its ambition is to test, in real conditions, the innovative and relevant nature of new logics around questions of sampling, big data, and the link between qualitative and quantitative, in close partnership with local authorities, institutions, companies, associations and other university laboratories.
The Ministry of the Interior, the La Poste Groupthe Savoie Mont-Blanc Chamber of Agriculture, theEnergy Management and Development Agency (Agence de Maîtrise et de Développement de l'Énergie) (ADEME), the Ministry of Ecological Transition, Savoie Mont Blanc Tourism (SMBT), private sector companies (Albedo energy, AMO Infusion, EDF, etc.), Mountain DoctorsThe scientific and technical skills of the Research Unit have been used on a contractual basis to address a variety of issues.
Some partnerships in progress
- The Investigation Unit is currently conducting the national survey on the link between the population and the internal security forces, which aims to understand the perception that the inhabitants of the Quartiers de Reconquête Républicaine have of the law enforcement forces deployed under this new system.
- For the past two years, the Survey Unit has been conducting a field survey for the Savoie Mont-Blanc Chamber of Agriculture, coupled with an analysis based on all existing data, in order to understand the dynamics of changes in agricultural structures (GAEC) and to identify the strengths/weaknesses of farms located in Savoie and Haute-Savoie.
- After several years of collaboration with Mountain Doctors, in 2016 the Survey Unit implemented a specific computer tool for collecting data from which the world's largest statistical database on mountain sports traumatology is produced. Every year, around ten bachelor and master students collaborate in the administration of this survey.
- Supported by 1st year students from master's degree in Social Sciences Applied to the Study and Survey Professions (SSAMEE) of the USMB, the Pôle enquête expertise, on behalf of Savoie Mont-Blanc Tourisme (SMBT), the methodologies for segmenting the tourist clientele in the mountains in order to propose, in the long term, more refined approaches to better define expectations, changes in behaviour, etc.
To know more about it