Preparing your departure: practical information

Before going on a mobility trip, prepare your stay and find out about your destination.

Consult the website of the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs

  • Read the information in the "Travel Tips" tab carefully.
  • We strongly recommend that you follow the advice given in the "Safety" section in particular to ensure your personal safety.
  • The "Last Minute" section alerts you to recent events that could impact your safety.

Register on the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs' "Ariane" page
The "Ariane" system makes it free and easy to report to the Ministry.
You will receive safety recommendations by SMS or email if the country situation warrants it.
You will be alerted in case of a crisis in your destination country.

Which papers for which destination?

In Europe
For a stay in a country of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, a valid identity card or passport is sufficient.
Please note: since the Brexit, the United Kingdom is no longer part of the European Union or the European Economic Area.

Other countries
To find out if your destination country requires a visa:

In Quebec
For a study stay in Quebec of six months or less, the student is not required to obtain a study visa and the Quebec acceptance certificate beforehand (but you will not be able to work or do an internship).
Consult the site of the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI) du Québec.

Financial aid for a stay abroad

Several financial aids can be combined to cover the costs of a stay abroad, including two main ones. The first one, managed by the exchange program, can grant a sum varying between 200 € and 600 € per month, depending on the cost of living in the destination country. The second is a public exchangeThe second is a means-tested grant of €400 per month for students on international mobility. These grants allow young people to cover the costs of their stay: accommodation, transportation, food, and living expenses. To avoid additional costs, you should consider ordering a European health card so that you do not have to pay in advance in case of health problems. Concerning the mobile package, if the French package has a large envelope of gigas (this is often the case for example with 5G mobile packages which often have a large amount of mobile data included), it will not be necessary to buy a SIM on the spot as calls and SMS are free to France and the destination country thanks to Rooming.

  • In Europe :
    For a stay in a country of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will allow you to prove your rights to health insurance and to benefit from a local coverage of your medical care, according to the legislation and formalities in force in the country of stay.
  • In Quebec:
    Under the terms of the "Protocole d'entente entre le gouvernement du Québec et le gouvernement de la République française relatif à la protection sociale des étudiants et des participants à la coopération", French nationals studying in Quebec are eligible for health and hospitalization insurance benefits in force in Quebec; they benefit from these benefits under the same conditions as Quebec students.
    To obtain a Québec health insurance card for your participation in an inter-university exchange, you must apply to the Régie de l'assurance-maladie du Québec (RAMQ) using the registration form provided for this purpose, attaching a copy of form SE 401-Q-106 and the Québec acceptance certificate (CAQ) for studies issued by the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI).
  • Elsewhere in the world:
    For a stay in other countries, it is compulsory to have a medical insurance cover valid in the country.
    Contact your student mutual insurance company to arrange appropriate health cover.

To find out more:

Check the validity of your civil liability insurance for the host country.
Take out additional insurance if necessary, particularly for medical repatriation.

If you are travelling by car, consider taking out extended insurance cover for transit countries and the host country, and ensure that the vehicle's equipment complies with the relevant regulations.

To find out more:

Department of Foreign Affairs: Travel Report

Check the vaccination recommendations and requirements, as well as the state of hygiene in your host country:

Institut Pasteur guides you

Your trip will also be an opportunity to check that your vaccination record is up to date.

An experience abroad can be difficult or tremendously rewarding depending on your level of preparation.

Remember that you will be ambassadors for your university, your region and your country abroad.

For maximum benefits abroad:

  • Don't always stay between French
  • Mix with students from the host country: sign up for sports or cultural activities, participate in associations, live in a shared apartment...
  • Take the opportunity to exchange with all the other international students and discover their culture!

Accessing Erasmus + support: During your school career, you will have the opportunity to go on an international exchange or internship abroad. In order to assist you in this process, we have created a website, find out more about the Erasmus + You can find out about the terms and conditions, duration and amount of these grants. Note that you can use this aid as you wish, inform yourself or make savings on your various expenses such as your bank accounts, for this inform yourself to find the best free bank in France and reduce your expenditure on this item.